Sunday, November 15, 2009

Songs Forever Tied To Bball - Born on the Bayou

I can't remember if it was NBA Inside Stuff, a documentary I got from the Waterloo Public Library, or some other venue ... but whenever I hear Born on the Bayou by CCR the image of Pistol Pete Maravich cruising down an NBA court in slow motion is immediately conjured up in my mind.

The song's slow muddy, yet at the same time frenetic vibe reminds me of a young boy playing basketball on some old, mossy court, with the swampy bayou wilderness in the background. It's one of the perfect songs for a hot summer afternoon's game. The kind of days in which the heat forces a lazy introspection on you and you can truly visualize the moves that are going to come to you next, but at the same time you force nothing as your muscles are so relaxed by the heat. The kind of song that helps you melt into the game.

The song really fit the atmosphere of one of the courts I played on profusely. Middle of large field ... a forest about 200 meters in the distance ... a sink for the hottest summer heat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YES! I'm with you completely on that. Doesn't matter if I'm at home or in my car or wherever....when I hear the opening chords of "Born On The Bayou" that same slow-motion image of Pistol Pete enters my mind.

Glad I'm not the only one.